[Python-Dev] Building on Windows (was Re: A "new" kind of leak)

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 14:18:33 -0400

> On Sat, Apr 13, 2002, Tim Peters wrote:
[A lament on doing a patch on two brances]

[Aahz]
> Yup, this is precisely why I never considered trying to do serious dev
> work on Windows.  I think this kind of thing is much more amenable to
> automation on Unixes, but I also think the NT-class OSes do better, too.
> Have you considered switching to Win2K for your dev work and just testing
> under Win98?  To what extent do you think you could automate things using
> Python and WSH?  What about using multiple dekstops to keep projects
> straight?

Tim has both Win2K vs. Win98, and it makes little difference; he's got
the same environment on both.  I've seen him work.  IMO, the debugger
(VC++) and editor (not VC) he uses are much better than anything I've
seen on Unix -- but the tools he has to use to interact with CVS are
much worse.

(He'll probably deny this, so I'll stop. :-)