[Python-Dev] Challenge about print >> None

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 18:35:20 -0500

>     JH> At least, I think that's why I find the use of None confusing.
>     JH> I find it hard to make a strong association between None and
>     JH> sys.stdout.  In fact, when I was typing this message, I wrote
>     JH> it as sys.stderr and only discovered my error upon re-reading
>     JH> the initial message.
>
> I think of it more like Vladimir does: "print >>None" should be
> analogous to catting to /dev/null.

Strong -1 on that.  You can do that with any number of other
approaches.

If, as a result of a misplaced None, output appears at the wrong place
by accident, it's easy to figure out why.  If it disappears
completely, it's a much bigger mystery because you may start
suspecting lots of other places.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)