[Python-Dev] Re: [Bug #113811] Python 2.0 beta 1 -- urllib.urlopen() fails

Fri, 8 Sep 2000 10:00:38 -0500 (CDT)

    Bob> The one I used was http://dreamcast.ign.com/review_lists/a.html,
    Bob> but probably any would do since it's pretty ordinary, and the error
    Bob> occurs before making any contact with the destination.

    Bob> By the way, I forgot to mention that I'm running under Windows 2000.

Bob,

Thanks for the input.  I asked for a URL because I thought it unlikely
something common would trigger a bug.  After all, urllib.urlopen is probably
one of the most frequently used Internet-related calls in Python.

I can't reproduce this on my Linux system:

    % ./python
    Python 2.0b1 (#6, Sep  7 2000, 21:03:08)
    [GCC 2.95.3 19991030 (prerelease)] on linux2
    >>> import urllib
    >>> f = urllib.urlopen("http://dreamcast.ign.com/review_lists/a.html")
    >>> data = f.read()
    >>> len(data)

Perhaps one of the folks on python-dev that run Windows of some flavor can
reproduce the problem.  Can you give me a simple session transcript like the
above that fails for you?  I will see about adding a test to the urllib
regression test.

--
Skip Montanaro (skip@mojam.com)
http://www.mojam.com/