[PYTHON-CRYPTO] Problems building M2Crypto on CentOS running x86_64

Bill boober95 at ROGERS.COM
Thu Dec 10 17:55:35 CET 2009

Thanks for the quick reply, I am really stumped.  I see Fedora 11 has an
m2crypto 64 bit build, so I know it can be done, but I haven't been able.

Here is some more exact version info and what I have done to build:

OpenSSL 0.9.8j, M2Crypto 0.19.1, Python 2.5.2, CentOS 5.3

The build command I am using is, and which is failing is:

python2.5 setup.py build build_ext --openssl=/usr/local/ssl

The error is near the end of the build (the link) and is:

gcc -pthread -shared build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.5/SWIG/_m2crypto_wrap.o
-L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lssl -lcrypto -o
build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.5/M2Crypto/__m2crypto.so
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a(x86_64cpuid.o): relocation
R_X86_64_PC32 against `OPENSSL_cpuid_setup' can not be used when making a
shared object; recompile with -fPIC

I tried running the fedora script, but I don't have an architecture config
file for openssl, just opensslconfig.h.  I have build on 32 bit without
problem without the script and using the script and the config I have.

If you have some idea of what the issue is I'd really appreciate it since I am
rapidly running out of options.

/bill