[PYTHON-CRYPTO] Requirements

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Sat Feb 17 00:18:02 CET 2001

  DP> On Friday 16 February 2001 17:26, you wrote: So a keyring API
  DP> standard should be written. (Obviously I have no experience with
  DP> keyrings, anyone else up to it?)
  >>
  >> This is a good plan.  There are some applications for which I
  >> would want a keyring that uses ZODB for storage.

  DP> Cool. I think /r$ mentioned something about interoperability
  DP> with other apps.  Does ZODB connect well with non-python apps?
  DP> That would be cool...  (obviously I have not been initiated to
  DP> ZODB yet)

No/maybe.  ZODB doesn't interact with non-Python apps at all, except
that it has a number of storage backends.  If the backend storage is
an RDBMS, then it would be possible to interoperate with other apps
via the database.  It doesn't sound pretty to me.

If you want more info about ZODB, you could see Andrew Kuchling's
ZODB pages: http://www.amk.ca/zodb/

  DP> I also mentioned using an XML document as a keystore. Do you see
  DP> this as having advantages/disadvantages (except for the fact
  DP> that it would be XML :)?  XML interoperability is pretty
  DP> universal... Has anyone implemented a shelve-like interface to
  DP> an XML file yet? That would be quite an achievement...

XML doesn't excite me, but I suppose it's as good as format as any.
(There isn't much different between XML and SPKI S-exps.)

Jeremy