[PYTHON-CRYPTO] Requirements

Michael Ströder michael at STROEDER.COM
Fri Feb 16 10:26:18 CET 2001

Dan Parisien wrote:

> > >   # MD5 implementations
> > >   '(0 2 262 1 10 1 3 2)' : [
> > >     Python.hash.MD5,
> > >   ],
> > >
> > >   # SHA1 implementations
> > >   '(1 3 14 3 2 26)' : [
> > >     Python.hash.SHA1,
> > >   ],
> > >
> > >   # Asymmetric ciphers
> > >
> > >   # RSA implementations
> > >   '(2 5 8 1 1)' : [
> > >   ],
>
> Are the keys of the dictionary the OIDs?

Yes.

> Where did you get those specific numbers? Are they just
> examples?

Real number grabbed from:

  http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/dumpasn1.cfg

> > > It's just a dictionary of lists of class names. The lists maintain
> > > the preferred order. A factory function returns an instance of this
> > > class. Very simple.
>
> Ok I understand this, but where is this example code going to be located? in
> crypto/? or in a crypto module implementation?

In crypto/ or maybe in a separate configuration module directory.

> > > - Is anybody scared by OIDs at all? Do all required components
> > > (algorithms, prng, key stores, protocols) have OIDs assigned?
> > > (Likely not.)
> >
> > I am.  I'd rather go with aliases than with OIDs.  Other opinions?
>
> Agreed. Aliases are better, but we are going to run into the problem of
> having to document them to solve 'rijndael' / 'aes'...

No problem to add additional support for aliases. But the registry
itself should be OID-based. If the registry is based on aliases we
have to maintain a name space.

Ciao, Michael.