[python-committers] Last-minute request: please backport bpo-33329 fix to 3.4 and 3.5

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Mar 2 14:03:01 EST 2019

On 3/2/2019 9:55 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> Le 02/03/2019 à 07:05, Larry Hastings a écrit :
>>
>> This bug in bpo-33329:
>>
>>      https://bugs.python.org/issue33329
>>
>> was fixed for 3.6+, but it also affects 3.4 and 3.5.  The bug is that
>> with newer versions of glibc--which I'm pretty sure has shipped on all
>> major Linux distros by now--the test suite may send signals that are
>> invalid somehow.  As a result the test suite... blocks forever?  I
>> think?  Anyway the observed resulting behavior is that there are three
>> regression tests in each branch that seemingly never complete.  I
>> started the 3.4 regression test suite /nine hours ago/ and it still
>> claims to be running--and the 3.5 test suite isn't far behind.
>> Technically, no, it's not a security bug.  But I simply can't ship 3.4
>> and 3.5 in this sorry state.
>>
>> Obviously it'd be best if the folks involved with the original PRs
>> (Antoine?) took over.
>
> Well, I don't know how to backport a PR to 3.4 or 3.5.

The patch changes < 10 lines in iterable_to_sigset in
Modules/signalmodule.c.  The relevant parts of the function in 3.4, 3.5,
and pre-patch 3.6 appear to be the same, though with different line
numbers.  I have not used git cherrypick or python cherrypicker for
months, but would expect them to do the merge.