[python-committers] python-committers is dead, long live discuss.python.org

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Sat Sep 29 06:11:12 EDT 2018

Le 29/09/2018 à 12:00, Łukasz Langa a écrit :

>> On Sep 29, 2018, at 10:44, Stefan Krah <stefan at bytereef.org> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry if I misunderstand this, but is the plan to moderate *core developers*
>> on python-committers?
>
> If you label it with an abstract term like this, it sounds like we just formed the Python Thought Police ;-)
>
> But think about the concrete examples of moderation and discussion flow that are going to be useful:
> - ability to link between topics
> - ability to see if somebody is actively replying on something you are also replying to
> - ability to edit your own post afterwards for clarity, typos, sending mishaps

Note this particular one *might* be a misfeature if someone edits their
posting significantly after someone else already replied.  I expect
Discourse to mention that the post was edited, but it can still be
confusing or misleading.

Now I hope this wouldn't happen for core developer discussions, but I
can see it easily happening in heated "ideas" discussions.

On the more general idea of Discourse, I'm all for experimenting as I do
agree with the advantages you mention.  Like Serhiy I also like my Gmane
workflow, but Gmane has worked less and less well recently, and admins
basically don't respond anymore (for example, it's become impossible to
start posting to new mailing-lists, since the autoresponder doesn't work
anymore).  I *am* worried, though, that the way this is being done is
gonna exclude some core developers at a critical moment where we do want
everyone included.  I would rather have had this happen after governance
is decided on.

Regards