[python-committers] python-committers is dead, long live discuss.python.org

Łukasz Langa lukasz at langa.pl
Sat Sep 29 06:00:48 EDT 2018

> On Sep 29, 2018, at 10:44, Stefan Krah <stefan at bytereef.org> wrote:
>
> Sorry if I misunderstand this, but is the plan to moderate *core developers*
> on python-committers?

If you label it with an abstract term like this, it sounds like we just formed the Python Thought Police ;-)

But think about the concrete examples of moderation and discussion flow that are going to be useful:
- ability to link between topics
- ability to see if somebody is actively replying on something you are also replying to
- ability to edit your own post afterwards for clarity, typos, sending mishaps
- ability to move topics around to where they belong better
- ability to close a topic (no more replies) to indicate for example: "this is about a resolved issue", "this is about an outdated version of the PEP"
- ability to make multiple quotes in a single post (which correctly link back for broader context)
- ability to collapse out-of-band replies in a topic

I could go on. In other words, unless the conversation REALLY gets heated, I doubt we will have to involve the code of conduct working group. But moderation and flow control is much more than banning abuse.

- Ł