[python-committers] Council / board (Was: 1 week to Oct 1)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Sep 25 12:10:36 EDT 2018

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 7:28 AM Mariatta Wijaya <mariatta at python.org> wrote:

> My proposal is taking into consideration The PSF's mission and diversity
> statement. I will not remove the diversity clause from PEP 8011.

+1

> To save us all trouble of discussing this particular issue, for those of
> you who disagree completely, and have other ideas about how you'd like
> Python to be governed and who should be in it, you can do one or more of
> the following:
>
> - not vote on my PEP
> - vote on the other PEPs
> - write their own PEP

I would remind people that it's well documented that diverse group make
better decisions. And given that there is a historical bias, often
unconscious, towards white men I think it's good to try to counter this
bias explicitly.

I should also think that "merit-based" criteria tend to reinforce the
existing unconscious bias.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)