[python-committers] A plea to stop last-minute changes to governance PEPs

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Sun Nov 18 06:17:44 EST 2018

Hello folks,

A couple days ago Nathaniel pushed significant changes to his governance
PEP (PEP 8016).  This means some governance PEPs are apparently still
*not* finalized.  This raises a problem: when can we consider that we
are reading the final version of a proposal (barring wording fixes or
improvements), not some work in progress draft?

Not everyone keeps an eye daily on PEP changes and discussions.  It
would be nice to be able to make one's mind at an idle pace.  But that
requires that PEP authors don't make last-minute changes in an attempt
to gather more support.

In my vote, I may have to devaluate those proposals that keep changing
in the last days before the vote, because it doesn't sound like the
author can be trusted to propose a stable model.

Regards