[python-committers] Timeline to vote for a governance PEP

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Sun Nov 4 10:24:55 EST 2018

On 04Nov2018 0338, Paul Moore wrote:
> I felt that "disenfranchised" described how I feel pretty well.
> If you're saying that my understanding of the word is inaccurate, then
> fine, I'm happy you know better than me. But I explained my problem in
> more detail as well as stating the summary version - I can't find
> context or discussions, I don't have the time to become an expert in
> all the details[1] but conversely I can't find out what those who
> *have* investigated the details think, etc etc.
>
> It's an important decision, and one I care about, but not one that
> will massively affect my daily routine, so I want to be involved, but
> I don't have the means to do so to a level that matches its direct
> impact on me.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was planning to post my own
preferences publicly during the election, a kind of "if you trust my
judgement, feel free to vote like I did".

Hopefully other people will do the same. I think most of us have worked
well enough with at least some other people in the group over the years
to have *someone* who we trust to decide on this for us. At the very
least, it gives people a starting point, even if they end up voting
differently themselves.

For example, right now, I'm leaning towards 8013, 8010, 8016, 8011,
8012, 8015, 8014. But since some are still in flux (particularly 8016),
that could change. And my core rationale is basically how likely we are
to be able to fill the roles created by the model.

Obviously I could be lying about my preferences, though I can't think of
any reason for me to want to do that or what I could gain out of it. The
gain I see by sharing them is to at least offer people a kind of proxy
vote. (I'm also sure I don't have the influence to make a huge
difference by doing this. While we'd all love it if he did, I'm pretty
sure Guido will not publish his preferences :) )

Cheers,
Steve