[python-committers] Transfer of power

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Fri Jul 13 20:59:38 EDT 2018

On 07/13/2018 04:20 PM, Steve Dower wrote:
> On 13Jul2018 1600, Larry Hastings wrote:
>> I disagree.  My proposal for Python's Council Of Elders is partially
>> based on the Supreme Court Of The United States.  For example, SCOTUS
>> judges are appointed for life, and I think PCOE members should be too.
>>
>> When SCOTUS renders a decision:
>>
>>   * the deliberation is held in private, but then
>>   * the judges cast their votes,
>>   * the "winning" side writes up the official decision, called "the
>>     Court's opinion",
>>   * and any member may contribute their own individual opinion,
>>     concurring /or/ dissenting, and finally
>>   * all votes and opinions contributed to the decision are made public.
>
> I agree with Larry, at least until the point at which we see "the
> public" aggressively idolising or demonising those members of the
> Council with whom they agree/disagree. Then I'll change my mind :)

Despite the smiley etc, this is a reasonable point.  But!  I think it's
inevitable.  As the BDFL Guido received more than his fair share of
idolatry and demonization (cf. the PEP 572 discussion). It's a natural
consequence of having identifiable people in charge of a project as
popular as Python.  Having the PCOE keep its votes / dissent private
wouldn't eliminate the consequences of fame for its members--all I'd
expect is that it'd be more evenly distributed.

//arry/