[python-committers] Transfer of power

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Fri Jul 13 19:20:55 EDT 2018

On 13Jul2018 1600, Larry Hastings wrote:
> I disagree.  My proposal for Python's Council Of Elders is partially
> based on the Supreme Court Of The United States.  For example, SCOTUS
> judges are appointed for life, and I think PCOE members should be too.
>
> When SCOTUS renders a decision:
>
>   * the deliberation is held in private, but then
>   * the judges cast their votes,
>   * the "winning" side writes up the official decision, called "the
>     Court's opinion",
>   * and any member may contribute their own individual opinion,
>     concurring /or/ dissenting, and finally
>   * all votes and opinions contributed to the decision are made public.
>
> This seems like a sensible approach for the PCOE to me too.  I prefer
> more transparency in governance generally, and as a member of the
> community governed by this body I'd prefer more rather than less insight
> into the process and the thinking that went into the decision.  I don't
> think it's a requirement for the PCOE to present as a unified front or
> to work in secret for them to be supportive of each other and of the
> body's decision.
>
> Sunlight, not darkness

I agree with Larry, at least until the point at which we see "the
public" aggressively idolising or demonising those members of the
Council with whom they agree/disagree. Then I'll change my mind :)

(For those who are unfamiliar with the phenomenon I'm referencing, wait
for SCOTUS to decide _anything_ and then go look at American Twitter.)

Cheers,
Steve