[python-committers] Should I merge a PR that I approved if it was written by a different core developer?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Sep 21 11:06:36 EDT 2017

It's funny. At Dropbox, engineers *have* to merge their own work (we call
it "landing"). When I first got to use GitHub (for asyncio, IIRC) I could
land other people's patches once I approved of them. That was very
satisfying, and felt like the "better" workflow, and we adopted this for
mypy. Cases where it's better to wait for the author also exist, but it's
always clear from the author's comments. In general merging sooner means
fewer conflicts with other work, and we like that.

But I'll refrain from merging CPython patches by other core devs since it
seems the consensus that usually the author (if a core dev) wants to merge
their own work on their own time.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)