[python-committers] Should I merge a PR that I approved if it was written by a different core developer?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Sep 21 10:18:48 EDT 2017

On Sep 20, 2017, at 20:54, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 September 2017 at 07:27, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Before the GitHub era, in the old "Mercurial era", the unwritten rule
>> was to not merge a patch written by a developer who has the commit
>> bit, to not "steal" his/her work. The old workflow (patches attached
>> to the bug tracker) didn't allow to easily keep the author. You had to
>> find the author email and full name and specify it manually.
>
> I'll typically still just leave an "Approve" review rather than
> merging directly, unless it's a PR for an issue I filed, or I'm
> working on a separate change that would end up conflicting with their
> PR if I left theirs open.

In general, I like the unwritten rule.  There’s something very satisfying about finally hitting the merge button, and as Nick points out, you may want to do some final tweaks.  I’ll usually just leave the Approve review too, and let the submitter/committer do the final merge.

That said, there are times when it’s useful to do the merge for them.  If it was my PR, I might leave a note in the PR asking for a merge if I know I won’t get to it soon (maybe I’m going on vacation), or if as Nick says, it needs to get merged soon so as to avoid conflicts or blocking other people’s progress.  I’d still like it to mostly come from the original submitter.

Cheers,
-Barry