[python-committers] What is a CPython core developer?

Ezio Melotti ezio.melotti at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 17:47:03 EDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> * Long term commitement. (...)
> >
> > Unfortunately we can't evaluate that in advance.  Even the person being
> > promoted often does not known whether they'll still be there in 5 or 10
> > years.  Hopefully that's on their horizon, but many factors can
> interfere.
>
> To be clear, I disagree with the "long term commitement", but I tried
> to summarize what I heard from other core developers. I think that it
> would be wrong to at least not mention it. If most core developers
> disagree with this requirement, we should remove it. If there is no
> consensus, I prefer to mention it *but* also explains that it's not
> strictly a "requirement", but more a "whish".

I think it really depends on the reason the developer has been given commit
privileges:
* generic work on the documentation, tests, or stdlib? several people can
take over if the dev disappears
* changed something specific in the language (e.g. import system, Unicode
representation)? some people can take over
* added new features to the language (e.g. typing, asyncio) or a new
module? few people can take over

IOW, the lower the bus factor, the higher are the expectations of long term
commitment.

In my case I used to do lot of generic work on CPython and when I became
less active other people took over with not many repercussions.  For more
specific areas (e.g. html.parser or Unicode) I still try to participate to
the discussions.  For the bug tracker I have to commit long-term because
other devs lack the time and/or knowledge required to maintain it.

Best Regards,
Ezio Melotti