[python-committers] What is a CPython core developer?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 13:11:38 EDT 2017

On 4 October 2017 at 17:58, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> * Long term commitement. (...)
>>
>> Unfortunately we can't evaluate that in advance.  Even the person being
>> promoted often does not known whether they'll still be there in 5 or 10
>> years.  Hopefully that's on their horizon, but many factors can interfere.
>
> To be clear, I disagree with the "long term commitement", but I tried
> to summarize what I heard from other core developers. I think that it
> would be wrong to at least not mention it. If most core developers
> disagree with this requirement, we should remove it. If there is no
> consensus, I prefer to mention it *but* also explains that it's not
> strictly a "requirement", but more a "whish".

To me, it's about caring about the long-term health of the project,
and not just a short-term interest in scratching your personal itch.
Sometimes people will only focus on particular areas, and that's fine,
but they should be prepared to help out anywhere they can be of use.
Equally, people can find that they don't have the time to commit that
they used to - again that's OK, but they should care enough to make
sure their "area" gets handed over, or is covered by others.

Being a core committer is about caring about Python as a whole, and
for the long haul. But people give their time and skills where they
can, and to the extent that they can.

> I will try to clarify expectations in term of time, evenings, weekends
> and holidays :-)

You don't have to write code at the weekend or while you're on
holiday, but you should be thinking about Python ;-)

Paul