[python-committers] A status check for issue number is coming soon

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Apr 7 14:39:28 EDT 2017

I have created a new GitHub bot called Bedevere (
https://github.com/python/bedevere; see the README if you don't know the
Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference). Once activated on the cpython
repo it will add a status check -- just like Travis and AppVeyor -- based
on whether an issue number is found in a pull request's title. If it's
there then the Details link will point to that issue on bugs.python.org
(i.e. no more copying and pasting the number to get back to the issue). If
it's missing then the status will be marking failing. For those PRs where
an issue number is not necessary, you can add the "trivial" label and that
will make the status be passing.

Long-term. Bedevere will probably gain other checks like whether there is a
news entry (that solution is being actively worked on and I'm still hopeful
will be in place this month). My hope is by having a single bot for these
kinds of checks we can make it easier to automate what we can that doesn't
make sense to do in the CI test builds (i.e. everything related to the PR
itself, but not the code in the PR).

Now Bedevere has not been turned on yet because I'm sick and I don't want
to try and diagnose issues the way I'm feeling, but I just wanted to let
people know that the problem of people forgetting issue numbers is getting
a fix (hopefully) shortly.