[python-committers] [Python-buildbots] New installed Python builders

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 00:37:40 EST 2015

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 3:11 PM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 19:11:15 +0200, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 23.11.15 18:00, R. David Murray wrote:
>> > On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 00:58:01 -0600, Zachary Ware <zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I haven't looked at this, but unless the buildbot does *not* have write
>> > access to the installed directories (ie: the install was done as another
>> > user) it isn't really doing a full installed python test.
>>
>> Yes, but at least it catches cases where some files are not installed.
>> There were few issues with this.
>
> True.  Something incomplete in this vein is better than nothing.  I'm
> Not sure you should call it "Installed" though, as that will be a bit
> misleading.  Most of the "can't run the tests on installed python" bugs
> are because the tree is read-only (obviously, not all of them!).
> Maybe call it "local install"?  Wordy, I know, but more accurate.

I've gone with attempting to make it more like a 'real' install, by
wrapping the test step with appropriate 'chmod' commands to make the
install directory not writable, and confirmed during a test run that
the entire installed tree is -w.  I also fixed the slave's usage of
usePTY (for test_curses) to avoid the failures that had been happening
in the 'uninstall' step.

--
Zach