[python-committers] Proposed core developer for contributing to multiprocessing

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Jan 10 14:53:01 CET 2015

On 10.01.2015 13:38, Berker Peksağ wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 12:33 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> Hi Ezio,
>>
>> I think I'm not making myself clear enough :-)
>>
>> Technically, operations would stay the same (tickets, patches, reviews),
>> but from a motivational point of view, you change things a lot for the
>> better if you put trust into people by giving them the commit bit early.
>
> Contributing to open source is all about motivation. If people are
> already willing to spend their free time working on an open source
> project(by writing and/or reviewing patches, for example), I think
> they are motivated enough and things like "commit rights", a
> @python.org mail address, a Python t-shirt etc. shouldn't be used as
> motivational items. From a contributor point of view, I can say that I
> would be more motivated if my patches were reviewed and committed in a
> shorter time frame (note: I was a contributor until six months ago).

... which is the direct result of us not having enough active
committers and this most probably being the result of the process
being too strict, not because there are too few people willing
to work on Python.

Anyway, I think I've made my point now :-) If other committers
feel that we don't need to have a more welcoming approach to
new developers, that's fine.

PS: If there's anything I've learned in the many years working
in and for open-source communities, it's that enabling people
to do collaborative work is the key factor to success. Give them
access, let people make mistakes and fix them, thank them for
doing a great job every now and then.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 10 2015)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/