[python-committers] Anatoly has been warned about his behaviour potentially leading to his loss of tracker privileges

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Nov 30 01:38:20 CET 2013

On 30.11.2013 01:14, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2013, at 11:38 PM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>> BTW: Rather than actually ban Anatoly from the various mailing lists,
>> I think setting his moderation flag would be a better approach. He'd
>> get a note that his emails are being held for moderation and the
>> moderators could then screen the emails for possibly problems.
>
> Remember that new python-dev members automatically get their moderation flag
> turned on.  A moderator has to take an explicit action to unset a member's
> flag so that they can post to the list unhindered.  By default, members with a
> set moderation flag have their postings held for approval.
>
> A member's moderation flag can easily be turned back on if necessary, and the
> normal moderation procedure can be to accept, reject (with a message), discard
> (throw it away), or defer for later.  Python mailing lists are governed by the
> Code of Conduct, so if a member is violating that code, it seems like a
> measured, reasonable response would be to re-moderate their postings until
> their conduct complies again.

I don't think a CoC will help in this case (I'm not even sure which CoC
you are referring to :-)).

Anatoly is basically just being ignorant, not explicitly rude or
offensive; or at least not to the level where any such code would
trigger sanctions. Of course, ignorance makes people angry.

In my experience the best option is to fight ignorance with ignorance
(if you are lucky enough to be able to use that option).

If a moderator rejects a message with say "Please rephrase in a more
productive way." or "Your message is difficult to understand. Please
send an updated version." this may result in an improvement
without actually enforcing some kind of ban.

> The question of course is: who gets to decide?  So far, we've operated pretty
> well on rough consensus, and I think we could probably do the same here, with
> the python-dev moderators having ultimate say.   Other communities have
> democratically elected councils with set terms, to which such decisions can be
> referred.  Perhaps it's time for Python to have such a community council?

I'd wait with that until the ratio between subjects in need of
intensive care and members needed for such a council reaches
a value higher than 10 ;-)

>> This would likely mean more work for the moderators and thus we'd
>> need more moderators. Should be a fixable, though.
>
> python-dev has 2 owners and 5 moderators, with varying degrees of active
> participation.  More help would surely be accepted.

Feel free to sign me up as moderator. More moderators means less
work for everyone.

Cheers,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 30 2013)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/