[python-committers] Anatoly has been warned about his behaviour potentially leading to his loss of tracker privileges

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Fri Nov 29 22:51:16 CET 2013

On ven., 2013-11-29 at 13:16 -0800, Ned Deily wrote:
> Right.  We can't change other people's behavior.  We can at best
> encourage change.  In this case, I'm doubtful that banning would serve
> as an encouragement.

Personally, I don't see it as an encouragement, rather a solution.
The "temporary" part is in case he actually wants to start behaving
better, but I'm not holding my breath.

You can't fix people, but you can prevent them from actually being
harmful.

> Why is it that we find him so annoying, enough to advocate fairly
> drastic measures like banning?  There have been and will be others who
> behave similarly.

I've only been here since 2006 or so, but I can't remember someone
behaving like that on such a frequent and long-lived basis. He does
stand out.

> Comparing his behavior to some of the recent, on-going cases of wildly
> inappropriate behavior on python-list (not involving Anatoly),

If python-list is a troll magnet, that's a pity, but how is that
relevant to the *development community*?

Have you noticed that many of us hardly ever participate in
python-list?
I personally hate reading python-list because so much of it is misguided
wishful-thinking people trying to help and reason trolls, and making
python-list a frankly annoying place :-(

Regards