[python-committers] Branches support status (Re: 3.3 branch created in main repository)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Oct 1 16:42:50 CEST 2012

On Oct 01, 2012, at 02:44 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

>"5 years" was once recorded in the 2.7 release page:
>http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2010-April/573621.html
>
>... although it isn't anymore:
>“Python 2.7 is scheduled to be the last major version in the 2.x series
>before it moves into an extended maintenance period.”
>http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7/
>
>Benjamin is the 2.7 release manager (good choice on his part ;-)), and
>on this thread he seems to be of the advice that 5 years is the number.
>
>Perhaps we can relax the 2.7 bugfix policy a bit: bugfix releases are
>made for 5 years, but core developers are free not to port minor
>bugfixes if they want to save up some time.

I think we should make a formal commitment to 2.7's lifespan, whatever that
would be.  When discussions about Python 2's ultimate demise come up, we
should be able to point to the PEP for the official declaration, since once
Python 2.7 maintenance ends, so does effectively Python 2's lifespan.

the-champagne-is-cooling-as-we-speak-ly y'rs,
-Barry