[python-committers] Branches support status (Re: 3.3 branch created in main repository)

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Oct 1 14:44:59 CEST 2012

Le lundi 01 octobre 2012 à 13:30 +0200, "Martin v. Löwis" a écrit :
> I'm not aware of a formal policy for 2.7. I guess it will end its life
> by BDFL pronouncement; giving it a 5 year bug fix period (which would
> end on July 3, 2015) seems a bit long to me - I'd favor to stop bug
> fixing along with the 3.4 release.

"5 years" was once recorded in the 2.7 release page:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2010-April/573621.html

... although it isn't anymore:
“Python 2.7 is scheduled to be the last major version in the 2.x series
before it moves into an extended maintenance period.”
http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7/

Benjamin is the 2.7 release manager (good choice on his part ;-)), and
on this thread he seems to be of the advice that 5 years is the number.

Perhaps we can relax the 2.7 bugfix policy a bit: bugfix releases are
made for 5 years, but core developers are free not to port minor
bugfixes if they want to save up some time.

Regards

Software development and contracting: http://pro.pitrou.net