[python-committers] 3.2 branch in mercurial

Senthil Kumaran senthil at uthcode.com
Wed Jan 4 08:19:07 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Petri Lehtinen <petri at digip.org> wrote:

> From hg help glossary:
>
>    If a named branch has no topological heads, it is considered to be
>    inactive.
>
> So AFAICS, this just means that 3.2 has been merged to default (which
> always should be the case).

Got it. I got confused when I saw 2.7 as an active one. (And yeah,
since 2.7 is not merged to default, it is an active one.)

> (snip)
>> searching for changes
>> abort: push creates new remote heads!
>> (did you forget to merge? use push -f to force)
>>
>> Was there any wrong merge? Or am I doing something wrong?
>
> I think you should merge to default before pushing. That's at least
> what I always do.

Yeah, the trouble was, when pushing from local 3.2 to local default,
it  was aborting asking me to merge. Which was odd, because I had just
done the cloning of (local) default to (local)3.2 and I was in the
correct branch as well.

Ned Deily on IRC suggested that I do the reverse, that is, pull the
changes to default (from local 3.2)  and then do the merge, commit,
push. It seem to have worked. But I could not figure out, why the
first push did not work. I shall try again and see why it occurred.

Thanks,
Senthil