[python-committers] 3.2 branch in mercurial

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 08:17:25 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Petri Lehtinen <petri at digip.org> wrote:
> Senthil Kumaran wrote:
>> I think, there is something wrong with state of hg.python.org at the moment.
>>
>> On a fresh clone from hg.python.org
>>
>> $hg clone ssh://hg@hg.python.org/cpython cpython
>>
>> If I do, hg branches, the 3.2 is shown as inactive. Did something
>> change recently?
>
> >From hg help glossary:
>
>    If a named branch has no topological heads, it is considered to be
>    inactive.
>
> So AFAICS, this just means that 3.2 has been merged to default (which
> always should be the case).
>
> (snip)
>> searching for changes
>> abort: push creates new remote heads!
>> (did you forget to merge? use push -f to force)
>>
>> Was there any wrong merge? Or am I doing something wrong?
>
> I think you should merge to default before pushing. That's at least
> what I always do. If the change shouldn't be made to 3.3 for some
> reason, you should do a "null merge".

Petri has it right here. The default state for hg.python.org/cpython
is to have only two active heads: default and 2.7.

3.2 should be inactive, because all 3.2 changes should either be
merged into default, or else explicitly flagged as inapplicable to
default (by merging, reverting and then committing).

I'm not sure why you're regularly making fresh clones rather than
using "hg pull -u" to update an existing clone (which is a *lot*
faster).

Cheers,
Nick.