[python-committers] Keyword expansion in online PEPs

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Tue Apr 5 22:37:58 CEST 2011

Am 05.04.2011 21:28, schrieb M.-A. Lemburg:
> Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> I'm still a little confused about keyword expansion for PEPs.  Georg says
>> here:
>>
>> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-committers/2011-March/001572.html
>>
>> that he's enabled the extension "locally", but I don't quite understand if
>> that means he did it only in his copy of the repo, or on python.org.

The latter.

>>  Clearly,
>> keywords are not getting expanded in the online version of the PEP:
>>
>> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0396/

They seem to be now (but I don't know who or what changed).

>> and while I'm not sure if .hg/hgrc is version controlled in
>> ssh://hg@hg.python.org/peps, the file there definitely does not have the
>> keyword extension enabled.

Yes, because that's not the clone where the PEPs are built; that one is in
/data/website-build/build/peps, and it has the keyword ext enabled.

>>  This pages recommends it be enabled only per-repo,
>> not globally:
>>
>> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/KeywordExtension
>>
>> I think we want keywords to be expanded in the online version of the PEPs.
>> How can we make that happen and what do PEP authors need to do?

There shouldn't be anything necessary for PEP authors.

> Related to this, I think that the website cronjob updating the PEP
> is no longer running, or at least it appears so...
>
> Several PEPs still have links to the SVN repo and some of them
> give a 404 when trying to fetch the .txt file:
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/ (SVN, Last-modified link works)
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0385/ (SVN, Last-modified link works)
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0396/ (SVN, 404)
>
> Others point to the HG repo, like probably all PEPs pages should:
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0100/ (HG)
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/ (HG, but gives an error)

Not sure why, especially not why it's like that for PEP 396, which only was
added after the switch and therefore the SVN link is broken.

The website build is such a horrid twisty maze of hooks, suid binaries,
scripts, cronjobs and scripts again that I gave up trying to force a full
rebuild of all PEPs, which I thought would have replaced all  At one point I assu