[python-committers] Keyword expansion in online PEPs

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Apr 5 21:28:03 CEST 2011

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I'm still a little confused about keyword expansion for PEPs.  Georg says
> here:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-committers/2011-March/001572.html
>
> that he's enabled the extension "locally", but I don't quite understand if
> that means he did it only in his copy of the repo, or on python.org.  Clearly,
> keywords are not getting expanded in the online version of the PEP:
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0396/
>
> and while I'm not sure if .hg/hgrc is version controlled in
> ssh://hg@hg.python.org/peps, the file there definitely does not have the
> keyword extension enabled.  This pages recommends it be enabled only per-repo,
> not globally:
>
> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/KeywordExtension
>
> I think we want keywords to be expanded in the online version of the PEPs.
> How can we make that happen and what do PEP authors need to do?

Related to this, I think that the website cronjob updating the PEP
is no longer running, or at least it appears so...

Several PEPs still have links to the SVN repo and some of them
give a 404 when trying to fetch the .txt file:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/ (SVN, Last-modified link works)
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0385/ (SVN, Last-modified link works)
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0396/ (SVN, 404)

Others point to the HG repo, like probably all PEPs pages should:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0100/ (HG)
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/ (HG, but gives an error)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 05 2011)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/