[python-committers] branches and merging

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Mar 2 16:29:13 CET 2010

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Le Tue, 2 Mar 2010 15:41:45 +0100,
> Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> a écrit :
>> For the EOL issue, there is code, it needs testing. Martin Geisler
>> (the primary author so far) and I issued a call for testing on
>> python-dev last week, but without any response so far.
>
> The people who have voiced their annoyance at the EOL situation should
> do the testing, really. If they don't want to do it, then IMO we should
> move forward anyway. There are more pressing issues involved in the
> Mercurial transition (for example, what we will replace the svnmerge
> process with) and I find it a bit annoying that we have to focus on the
> micro-issue of EOL translation, which (judging by mailing-list
> archives) doesn't seem to affect the Windows-based Mercurial users
> at large.

I expended a good deal of effort last year making sure that core
developers who required them got MSDN licenses. This should surely
enable some testing. If nobody wants to test for the Windows platform
then all the work is going to fall on MvL, who surely has plenty to do
without that additional load.

IMHO we got in this mess because we didn't have sufficient involvement
from Windows platform users during the DVCS evaluation - people saw that
there was some accommodation to Windows, and assumed it would be
sufficient for our purposes. It wasn't, and a year later we are only
just approaching a solution.

This is a big deal, and it needs some effort. Doesn't *anyone* have time?

regards
 Steve
PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010  http://us.pycon.org/