[python-committers] Blocking feature backports

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Wed Dec 1 21:48:27 CET 2010

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 14:53:21 -0500, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> I would like to commit a couple of new feature patches in the next
> couple of days for #9299 (if no one else does it) and #10534 (working on
> that).  It appears to be somewhat customary to follow such patches with
> 3.1/2.7 blocks, but Georg implied in another message that the process is
> obsolete in that no one is doing blind mass merges anymore, and I
> apparently cannot do blocks with TortoiseSvn. So is it alright if I make
> the commits and simply note in the commit messages that they are for a
> new feature and should not be merged backwards?

I think that's fine.  I'm not even sure it is necessary to mention
that it is a feature and won't be backported, though certainly
that can't hurt, and should be done if there could be any doubt.

My understanding of the current status of svnmerge block is that
you should use it if it helps you and not worry about it otherwise.
Georg and I and some others find it useful for managing our own
patches, but otherwise I think that it isn't being used.

If I'm wrong I'm sure Benjamin, as the release manager whom this
would affect, will chime in :)

--David