[python-committers] build dependency on the branches on sphinx trunk necessary?

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Tue Jan 27 00:08:34 CET 2009

Matthias Klose schrieb:
> Guido van Rossum schrieb:
>> I'm not sure I understand your request. Is it okay to build docs using
>> a version of sphinx that is included in the distro? Is there a
>> specific revision that you would like to see rolled back, or do you
>> have a specific fix in mind?
>
> the specific change was committed in r68428. I didn't check if reverting this
> causes regressions in building the docs.

It doesn't; I've successfully built the docs with Sphinx 0.5.1+ after
reintroducing the try/except guards, so I've committed that as r68984.

> A safe approach would be to only use build dependencies on a branch which were
> released before the first release of the branch. I assume in this case, the
> branch should stick with sphinx-0.5 and not rely on newer sphinx versions (or
> sphinx dependencies which were released after the python-2.6.0 release).

Since I can't guarantee that everyone will keep to 0.5 compatibility,
it would be great if you could feel responsible for checking that it is
still given from time to time.

Georg