[python-committers] build dependency on the branches on sphinx trunk necessary?

Matthias Klose doko at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 26 22:27:50 CET 2009

Guido van Rossum schrieb:
> I'm not sure I understand your request. Is it okay to build docs using
> a version of sphinx that is included in the distro? Is there a
> specific revision that you would like to see rolled back, or do you
> have a specific fix in mind?

the specific change was committed in r68428. I didn't check if reverting this
causes regressions in building the docs.

A safe approach would be to only use build dependencies on a branch which were
released before the first release of the branch. I assume in this case, the
branch should stick with sphinx-0.5 and not rely on newer sphinx versions (or
sphinx dependencies which were released after the python-2.6.0 release).

> I suspect few people here understand the
> (apparently largely political) ins and outs of the rules that guard
> inclusion into Debian -- I certainly don't, and I don't have the time
> to become an expert in them. So rather than trying to explain the
> rules to us, could you make a specific suggestion of something we
> could *do* to fix your problem?

please see the proposals above. I'm not sure about the best approach how to make
backporting to the branch as easy as possible.

  Matthias