[python-committers] ubuntu release plan

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Fri Aug 15 10:42:13 CEST 2008

Anthony Baxter wrote:
> What would this professionalisation get us that we don't have now? As
> far as I can see, the biggest hole at the moment (as always) is with
> people to trawl the tracker and triage bug reports and patches.

It would get us one or some developers who can work 8+ hours a day, five
days a week. A paid developer could do all crummy jobs like closing
bugs. A paid release manager could dedicate more time to take care of
things. I strongly believe that two full time developers can make a
difference by providing a better infrastructure for the rest of us.

I blindly assume that non of us is going to say "Give me bucks or I
won't code any more". But our economy is going through a recession,
everything is getting more expensive by the day. A constant income would
allow some guys to code without them worrying about money.
For example we have several talented students in our midst. Let's tap
into their potential by hiring them. They could use their talent to our
benefits instead of earning money through internships or side jobs.

Christian

PS: No, I'm not trying to get me a paid job here. I've already got a
great and well paid one. *g*