[Python-authors] Book writing software

W. Matthew Wilson matt at tplus1.com
Sun Apr 21 17:29:30 CEST 2013

Clearly, a bunch of us write with vim + reStructuredText.  I'd like to hear
about mundane aspects like how did y'all break up the book into separate
folders and files, how you did stuff like run your doctests, how you
reformat text, any special applications of source control, etc.

I've figured out a workflow that I like for when I do talks, and I use a
few vim tricks like {gq} to rewrap paragraphs, but I bet I could learn a
lot more.

Matt

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM, Tarek Ziadé <tarek at ziade.org> wrote:
> > OTHO LaTex is painful to edit/read compared to reST.  IIRC Lennart
> Regebro
> > (who I added in CC) did his Python 3 porting book entirely in Rest
> > so he might have an interesting PoV
>
> Yeah, I did it in ReST and output to HTML and PDF via LaTeX. This
> works well, although you might have to learn a bit too much LaTeX to
> get the output as you want it. I believe PyDanny and Audrey did the
> same, and they also output to a couple of eBook formats.
>
> In my experience each format you want to support is a significant
> effort. But that you even *can* support all these formats with Sphinx
> is a pretty strong argument.
> It's also super-easy to unit test all your code. Since I needed to
> support a whole host of Python versions I didn't have my code inline,
> but in separate external files. But if all your code should run on all
> the Python versions you support, then you can have the code inline and
> run tests on it. I'd recommend using Manuel in that case to run the
> tests.
>
> //Lennart

W. Matthew Wilson
matt at tplus1.com