[Python-authors] Book writing software

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 21:12:42 CEST 2013

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM, Tarek Ziadé <tarek at ziade.org> wrote:
> OTHO LaTex is painful to edit/read compared to reST.  IIRC Lennart Regebro
> (who I added in CC) did his Python 3 porting book entirely in Rest
> so he might have an interesting PoV

Yeah, I did it in ReST and output to HTML and PDF via LaTeX. This
works well, although you might have to learn a bit too much LaTeX to
get the output as you want it. I believe PyDanny and Audrey did the
same, and they also output to a couple of eBook formats.

In my experience each format you want to support is a significant
effort. But that you even *can* support all these formats with Sphinx
is a pretty strong argument.
It's also super-easy to unit test all your code. Since I needed to
support a whole host of Python versions I didn't have my code inline,
but in separate external files. But if all your code should run on all
the Python versions you support, then you can have the code inline and
run tests on it. I'd recommend using Manuel in that case to run the
tests.

//Lennart