[Python-3000] Install on Vista / AMD64 AthlonX2 platform

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Tue Jun 10 10:32:47 CEST 2008

> This UAC behavior is controlled by bit 3 of the word count property in
> the summary information stream - specifically the legacy value zero
> requests elevation. Unfortunately, it's not feasible to transform or
> otherwise change this at run-time, so you have to know ahead of time.
> If it's set to not require administrator privileges, it can only
> successfully install into machine locations if it was launched by a
> full administrator context.

I only tested the python3 installer using "install for all users", and it did correctly prompt for UAC during the install, after "install for all users" is selected.  Previous testing of the 2.x MSI installers shows that if you select "only for me", UAC is not requested, and I expect this installer will do the same.  Note that this is *during* the install process, not at the very start (ie, UAC is not unconditional).  FWIW, these issues don't relate specifically to the x64 version of Vista.

As mentioned, it installed (including UAC prompting) just fine for me just a few hours ago...

Cheers,

Mark