[Python-3000] Install on Vista / AMD64 AthlonX2 platform

Michael Urman murman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 07:48:58 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 11:20 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> One issue (probably not the one of the OP) is still unresolved (AFAIK -
> I don't use Vista regularly); an issue that you brought up some time
> ago: Installer unreasonably invokes UAC when running the MSI file, even
> if this is a "just-for-me" installation. I actually don't know why it
> does that - there is nothing in the MSI file specifically requesting
> UAC. Instead, Installer makes its own determination of whether UAC is
> needed, and I don't know what criteria it uses for that determination.
>
> So any help would be appreciated.

This UAC behavior is controlled by bit 3 of the word count property in
the summary information stream - specifically the legacy value zero
requests elevation. Unfortunately, it's not feasible to transform or
otherwise change this at run-time, so you have to know ahead of time.
If it's set to not require administrator privileges, it can only
successfully install into machine locations if it was launched by a
full administrator context.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372870(VS.85).aspx

--
Michael Urman