[Python-3000] async io

tomer filiba tomerfiliba at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 19:44:50 CET 2007

hi

the new i/o pep (3116) says the following:
> In order to put an object in object in non-blocking mode, the user
> must extract the fileno and do it by hand.

i remember the discussions of the subject, but it seems wrong to me.
there are (only?) two common use cases for async IO: sockets and
pipes.
most other file-like-things don't make much sense when async, and that
behavior is not supported on all platforms.

still, pipes and sockets support this behavior almost by definition,
sp
it makes a lot of sense to me to have that be part of the interface,
making
it cross-platform.

i have seen (and had to write) a lot of boilerplate, platform-specific
code
dealing with that... i'd love to have it removed with the new i/o
library.

-tomer