[Python-3000] Please re-add __cmp__ to python 3000

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 23:52:30 CET 2007

Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:
> For Python, I think I favor reviving __cmp__ for totally ordered
> types, and asking that partially ordered ones return NotImplemented
> from it explicitly.

Returning NotImplemented already means "I don't recognise the other
type". A fully implemented partial ordering is not the same thing.

None could possibly be coopted for the job of representing
unequal-but-not-ordered, but has the major downside of evaluating to
False as a truth value.

A new task-specific singleton as a Greg suggested is a definite
possibility though.

Cheers,
Nick.