[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri May 25 16:24:43 CEST 2007

On Friday, May 25, 2007, at 03:03PM, "Steve Howell" <showell30 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Remember, you and I have no disagreement whatsoever
>about what the Python code looks like.  I look forward
>to seeing beautiful code written in French, Korean,
>etc. under PEP 3131, and I have not opposed anything
>in the proposal that affects the code itself.
>
>We're just disagreeing about whether the Dutch tax law
>programmer has to uglify his environment with an alias
>of Python to "python3.0 -liberal_unicode," or whether
>the American programmer in an enterprisy environment
>has to uglify his environment with an alias of Python
>to "python3.0 -parochial" to mollify his security
>auditors.
>
>I guess you could argue that the American programmer
>in an enterprisy environment already is dealing with
>so much ugliness, it wouldn't matter. ;)

This could easily be solved by tool support instead of yet another switch (and in effect language variant). That is, pylint, pychecker or even a svn pre-commit hook could report on code that doesn't use the character range that is valid according the coding conventions for the project.

I'm +0.5 on adding Unicode identifier support because it would allow me to use accented characters in localized code whenever appropriate.

Ronald