[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue May 22 00:01:29 CEST 2007

Terry Reedy wrote:

> My proposal was that the Unicode characters allowed in Python identifiers
> be limited to those with a transliteration, either current or to be
> developed by those who want to use a particular character set.

Japanese has a transliteration to Roman script, but it suffers from
ambiguity that typically isn't present in the native written forms of
the words (i.e. there are different characters in Kanji which are
pronounced the same way, and spelt the same way in hiragana - and it is
only the hiragana syllabary which can be mapped to roman characters).

Cheers,
Nick.