[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon May 21 23:30:28 CEST 2007

""Martin v. Löwis"" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote in message
news:464FFD04.90602 at v.loewis.de...
| I'm not aware of an algorithm that
| can do transliteration for all Unicode characters.

Were you proposing to allow all Unicode characters in Python names?-)

| Therefore, I cannot add transliteration into the PEP.

Non sequitor.  How I read this is "Because I do not know how to do
something that does not need to be done, I cannot do something that could
be done."  So it strikes me as another red-herring dismissal that seems to
ignore the actual content of what I proposed, which was to do something
that I believe can be done and which would be useful to do.

My proposal was that the Unicode characters allowed in Python identifiers
be limited to those with a transliteration, either current or to be
developed by those who want to use a particular character set.  So if, for
instance, one or more people wanted to program in Klingon in its 'native'
characters, they would need to provide the mapping (which I suspect already
exists).  Transliterations more or less official do exist, I believe, for
the major languages that we are seriously concerned with.  And for just
readablity purposes, I would leave the accented latin chars alone, and even
let them be available as part of an extended target set.  So while I might
be wrong, I *think* that we could get 99% use-case coverage.

While the PEPs acceptance as-is (for which I congratulate you for your
persistence) makes transliteration moot as an acceptibility enhancement, it
does not change its desireability for use purposes.  To repeat: without it,
national character identifiers will tend to ghettoize code.  While this
might be a minor issue for Chinese, it will be a bigger issue for people
writing in Thai or Ibo or other languages with small pioneering groups of
Python programmers.

Terry Jan Reedy