[Python-3000] [patch] io.py improvements

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Sat Aug 25 18:27:53 CEST 2007

The patch improves io.py and socket.py's SocketIO:

* I've removed all asserts and replaces them by explict raises
* I've added four convenient methods _check_readable, _check_writable,
_check_seekable and _check_closed. The methods take an optional msg
argument for future usage.
* unit tests for the stdin.name ... and io.__all__.

open problems:

The io.__all__ tuple contains a reference to SocketIO but SocketIO is in
socket.py. from io import * fails. Should the facade SocketIO class
moved to io.py or should SocketIO be removed from io.__all__?

The predecessor of the patch was discussed in the sf.net bug tracker
http://bugs.python.org/issue1771364

Christian