[pytest-dev] on abolishing the feature branch concept

Bruno Oliveira nicoddemus at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 09:31:45 EST 2016

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 12:04 PM Florian Bruhin <me at the-compiler.org> wrote:

> * Ronny Pfannschmidt <opensource at ronnypfannschmidt.de> [2016-01-25
> 14:36:12 +0100]:
> > i think we need to be much more strict on what a bugfix is
> > for example the regression in 2.8.6 was caused by the "feature"
> > of more detailed exceptions from monkeypatch
>
> I agree this particular PR should've gone to 'features'. IMHO it'd
> have been the responsibility of Bruno and you to tell the author to
> reopen it against features.

Yes, it seemed like a small fix at the time, that's why it went into
master... I agree we should be more strict on what goes to master in the
future.

But in general I think it's working pretty well, no?

I agree... we just have to adjust to those hiccups.

> another more and more apparent issue is, that our current testsuite
> > and style of testing in pytest can't provide sufficient branch
> > coverage in various situations, the regression that happened in
> > 2.8.6 should have been something the testsuite catches before.
>
> I was surprised this wasn't caught as well - then again pytest's
> coverage is at 93% according to coveralls, which doesn't seem too
> shabby to me.

I think much of what is missing is because of poor coverage in
genscript.py... didn't take a deeper look if it is possible to improve that.

> to that effect it might even be sensible to change from master +
> > features to bugfix + master
>
> I thought we discussed this to death before already, and ended up with
> master/features :P

I agree, I don't think the reasons for the master/feature division have
changed: mainly that most external contributions are bug fixes or
doc-changes, so it's natural for contributors to target the master branch.
Features are much more rare, so for those we have a different branch other
than the default.

Bruno.