[pytest-dev] Exemplary py.test usage in open-source?

Christoph Deil Deil.Christoph at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 23:02:26 CET 2014

> On 25 Nov 2014, at 10:03, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 00:05 +0000, Hashemi, Mahmoud wrote:
>> Hehe, sorry for the top post, work computer. I did actually try searching conftest.py on Github, but there were altogether too many results :) Didn't seem like there was a solid sorting mechanism either.
>>
>> The Mozilla tests are particularly interesting because they use Python to test non-Python codebases, which is a major area of interest in the increasingly diverse PayPal engineering community. Those sorts of py.test conventions really resonate for the corporate/product types :) Also, small note, I'd probably update the Projects page link to the Mozilla Github so the code is more readily showcased. Otherwise, the Projects page is fantastic :)
>
> I happily accept PRs listing projects.  Please add your own project contexts as
> that would be interesting for others as well i guess :)
>
> As far as testing non-python codebases goes, these two integrate C/C++:
>
>    https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pytest-cpp
>    http://pytest-c-testrunner.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
>
> Many are using pytest to test command line scripts (which are not neccessarily
> written in Python) and pytest itself has many tests written against it this way.
> Didn't get around to release a "pytest-cli" plugin i have started somewhere.

Hi Holger,

I’m very interested in the “pytest-cli” plugin you mentioned … what does it do?

I’ve started to write tests for command line tools (written in C++) and I’m simply using subprocess to execute them and then assert on their return code and generated stdout / stderr and files.
It’s working OK, but so far I haven’t started running tests in parallel or had to handle processes that crash or hang, so if there’s a plugin to do this I’m sure it’s more robust and would like to give it a try.

Cheers,
Christoph