[pytest-dev] (new) pytest plugins / note to plugin authors

Bruno Oliveira nicoddemus at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 13:05:03 CEST 2013

Hi Holger,

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 4:22 AM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 21:44 -0300, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
>
> > Obtaining the meta data is easy enough, but I found that only 7 out of 60
> > of the packages (searching for "pytest-") have a tox.ini file. Even
> thought
> > it is just a few, I think we can use that initially especially if that
> > encourages more plugin authors to use tox to manage its test runs.
>
> We could think about generating a tox.ini which runs "py.test -h"
> afterwards
> and thus verifies that the plugin installs, at least.

Good, that would work at least as a smoke test. :)

> > I'm thinking of putting a script that can generate Sphinx docs from live
> > PyPi package information, and later on be also able to test plugins
> > compatibility. I'm thinking to provide a patch to pytest's own
> > documentation, but later on we can move this to a live app that
> > periodically fetches that information to keep it up to date if you think
> it
> > is necessary. How does that sound?
>
> A script that generates sphinx-doc(s) makes sense.  Maybe to finally
> produce content at http://pytest.org/latest/plugins/ or so and we make
> a direct navigation link to its index page.

I'm working on it and will create a PR so we can discuss over the code.

If you have an entry point into that script that allows to re-check a
> particular project we could think about calling that triggered by the PyPI
> changelog API (i can do that part as i have been working with this stuff
> a lot in the devpi.net project), or other events like preparing a new
> pytest release.
>
> As this script will -- when installing or testing -- execute almost
> arbitrary code released to pypi i think we should have a human-screened
> "whitelist" of projects we inspect/try in this manner.

Yes, I have been thinking about this and will make some experiments in that
regard.

(I didn't know about devpi.net, will check it out)

Cheers,
Bruno.