[pytest-dev] solving the "too static" fixture scope problem

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Fri Oct 11 10:40:45 CEST 2013

Hi pytest users and developers,

I'd like to discuss and get feedback on
extending the fixture mechanism and fix what
i consider a biggest limitation at the moment.

Problem: fixtures are tied statically to a scope

For example, you cannot use monkeypatch in a higher
than "function" scoped fixture. Same is true for
tmpdir and probably also many user-defined fixtures.
I've certainly had this problem myself many times
that i had a fixture function that didn't really
care in what scope it was used.  There are
ways to get around this problem but they are not
pretty:

    @pytest.fixture(scope="module")
    def myfix_module(request
        return _myfix(request)

    @pytest.fixture(scope="function")
    def myfix_function(request
        return _myfix(request)

where _myfix is the function that doesn't
care about the actual scope.  Even then, you
can't use builtin fixtures like "monkeypatch",
"tmpdir", etc.

Solution Idea: introduce "each" scoped fixtures

The idea is allow a fixture function to declare it wants
to be used in the scope of the requesting fixture function
(or at function-scope if used from a test).

This is how "monkeypatch" would be implemented then:

    @pytest.fixture(scope="each")
    def monkeypatch(request):
        ...  # same implementation as in _pytest/monkeypatch.py

The new "each" scope means that each fixture/test requesting
the "monkeypatch" fixture would receive its own fixture instance.

So a session-scoped fixture could naturally use it like this:

    @pytest.fixture(scope="session")
    def myfix(monkeypatch):
        monkeypatch.setattr(...)
        return some_value

The passed in monkeypatch object here is a specific instance just
for the ``myfix`` fixture function: "each" fixture function
requesting ``monkeypatch`` gets a new instance of it.
If e.g. a test uses another module-scoped fixture defined like this:

    @pytest.fixture(scope="module")
    def myfix2(monkeypatch):
        mp.setattr(...)
        return some_value

this would invoke the ``monkeypatch`` fixture function a second time,
resulting in a new instance for use by the ``myfix2`` instance.

The same logic could be applied to other fixtures
like "tmpdir" or user-defined ones.

Do you like this idea? Would you find it helpful for your test suites?

There is one issue i am not sure about yet, however.  Currently,
when a test requires fixture A and B, and B requires C and C requires A,
then the two "A" would be exactly the same object, independently of what
which scopes are declared.  If A=="tmpdir", then the test's tmpdir and
C's tmpdir would be the same directory.  I often don't find this desirable.
If tmpdir would be an "each" scoped fixture, then C and the test would
each receive a clean new tmpdir.  If that is a backward-compat issue,
we could introduce another name for the new "each" scoped tmpdir.
I usually find myself working around the problem of a "tmpdir"
shared by multiple different fixtures, though.

cheers,