[py-dev] py.test and editors (Re: [issue57] Emacs and py.test tracebacks)

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Tue Aug 12 21:16:31 CEST 2008

Hi Ralf,

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 16:11 +0200, Ralf Schmitt wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 3:48 PM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:
> > I don't have a strong opinion on this.  But for python 2.3 and
> > 2.4 i guess it's somewhat nice to be able to type "python setup.py install"
> > and have it work indepedently from the question if
> > setuptools is installed.
> >

> setuptools enabled packages come with a short bootstrap module which
> does install setuptools in case it is not installed. This should also
> work with python 2.3.
> (I think you will also need vs 6.0 instead of vs 2003 to build
> extensions for python 2.3 on windows)

ok.  if we want to ship with a pre-compiled greenlet module
we would need to distribute per-python versions, right?
If we can't manage this ourselves then i hope we can
find people to prepare binary eggs.

> > originally the greenlet lib was moved into the py lib
> > to ease maintenance and because it was used in PyPy and
> > we didn't want to add dependencies there.
> >
> > Today, I'd be fine both ways - for 0.9.2 i guess
> > greenlets should still be part of the py lib, though.
> >

> ok. I'll try to implement a setuptools based setup.py then.

any chances you'll get to that this week?  I think i'd
like to get the 0.9.2 release out the coming weekend.

cheers,