[pypy-dev] PyOpenCL wants to move from cffi to pybind11

wlavrijsen at lbl.gov wlavrijsen at lbl.gov
Thu Aug 16 23:56:27 EDT 2018

Matti,

> They claim 1500 less code lines and a 2x speedup (on cpython).

I certainly believe the former, but am surprised by the latter. From some
simple benchmarking, I've found PyBind11 to be very slow (as in 3x and up).
Perhaps the problem is in the C wrappers more so than in cffi?

> On the other hand, I do not know how easy it is to move form PyBind11 to
> cppyy. Any thoughts?

The question is what they'd think of the LLVM dependency, since the e-mail
explicitly states they're happy to be without a boost one. A move itself
should be easy enough, but they'd have to be convinced by performance, so
it might be good to get a benchmark out of them to measure and see what
they consider more important: speed or few dependencies.

Best regards,
            Wim
--
WLavrijsen at lbl.gov    --    +1 (510) 486 6411    --    www.lavrijsen.net